It still amazes me that you can hop on a train in Manhattan and end up at a beach in a little over an hour. As we are not planners in the least bit, we decided last-minute after church last Sunday to spend the rest of the day lounging on a beach. I also half-way decided in my mind that morning that I wanted to be vegan for a week and thought Sunday would be a good day to start. After eating a (surprisingly!) yummy lunch at a vegan place, Peacefood Cafe, we took the D train all the way from our apartment to Coney Island. Well, when at Coney Island, one must eat at Nathan's , home of the first hot dog eating contest. As a result, the vegan diet lasted about half a day. But...that chili cheese coney was SO worth it after an afternoon of swimming. ;)
To quote Hemingway: “We ate well and cheaply and drank well and cheaply and slept well and warm together and loved each other.” - A Moveable Feast This is a very long post, filled with some of my favorite pictures of the trip. I could make long comments on every photo, but then the post would be twice as long, so the pictures will just have to speak for themselves. All in all, it was an inspiring, refreshing, exhausting, food-filled, and creative discovery.
Hotel de Invalides and around
Jardin du Luxembourg
Trocadero, Eiffel Tower
Madeline in Paris
Walking around the Seine
Arc de Triomphe
Tour de Eiffel
Wohoo you made it to the end!
Some observations Kyle and I made during our trip:
- The Paris metro is so much cleaner than the NYC subway (NO rats in sight, guys)
- The food portions in Paris were much bigger than NY portion size (and it was surprisingly cheap)
- every homeless man we saw had a dog with them (??!?)
- French people are very friendly (and stylish and artistic and have pretty hair).
- coffee (cafe) is an experience and something meant to be leisurely enjoyed.
- euros look too much like monopoly money and therefore made it much too easy to spend.
These gorgeous blooms were surrounding the edge of the back of Notre Dame. I still can't get over Paris' love for gardens filled with flowers everywhere! Take me back.